Thursday 13 September 2012

Nimbin MardiGrass & Hippie Culture


Visit the Nimbin MardiGrass website for more information:

In 2005 my parents and myself moved to the Northern Rivers in a little down called Modanville; 30 minutes from Byron Bay & 30 minutes from Nimbin. Considering this location, it is no wonder why I have a love and interest for a more alternative lifestyle. Before I moved away from Sydney I thought that Hippies just existed in history and movies but when the phenomenon of dreadlocks, fisherman pants, spiral ear stretchers and the smell of essential oils became an everyday occurance I soon realised that Hippies were real, they still existed and there were hundreds of them!


My first thougths of these people were "what a bunch of droney junkies!" but when I made friends with a boy called Che, who lived on a commune called 'Bodhi Farm' 10 minutes out of Nimbin, I began to see that these so called 'droney junkies' were actually the most amazing group of people i'de ever been introduced too. I could go on for days as to why I'm so in love with the hippie culture and people but I think everyone needs to experience the lifestyle for themselves and meet the people who make up the hippie stereotype.


I've been to Nimbin MardiGrass multiple times over the years and it's one of the funnest, most bizarre events I've ever been too! For anyone who loves the Hippie culture, is interested in the Legalization of Marijuana, likes a more alternative lifestyle, enjoys psychedelic experiences, markets, live music and awesome food, then you should definitely organise a trip to the Northern Rivers. Not just for the MardiGrass but for all the other awesome places to visit around the area.


Here are some photos of my MardiGrass experience to give you an idea of what to expect!

The Famous Combi Convoy!

Humungous Inflatable Joint!

Door Beads; Nimbin Style!

Mona Lisa @ The Nimbin Museum

More from the Nimbin Museum...



Written by Laura Bunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment